Early Mods’ First-Choice Vinyl
This Boogie Chillen 2LP limited edition release selects 24 dancefloor-friendly highlights from the great companion 3CD set, the most enlightening and informative mod collection yet to see issue, not only providing a fascinating history lesson, but also delivering a compelling 3 ½ hours of great music.
At the start of the sixties, Britain bore witness to a new, brash youth movement, which up until the onset of hippy-dom later that decade, dominated the country’s fashion and musical landscape. These young modernists embraced a smart, stylish look along with the coolest sounds emanating from the US, and later, Jamaica. While the subculture eventually faded from British mainstream consciousness, it has never disappeared altogether, attracting new followers worldwide with each new generation.
Yet despite its enduring popularity, the music that inspired the original mod stylists has remained largely undocumented. Boogie Chillen sets to put the record straight, collecting some of the most popular and influential tracks on the burgeoning mod scene of the early sixties. Annotated and compiled by first generation mod, Rob Nicholls, the set takes a musical journey, highlighting an array of classic R&B, jazz and rock & roll classics that found favour among those considered Britain’s coolest youths.
This vinyl edition ranges from the elemental electric blues of John Lee Hooker and Howlin’ Wolf to the Latin grooves of Ray Barretto, via the New Orleans R&B of Huey Smith and the club soul sounds of James Brown and Ike & Tina Turner. It is this variety of styles that sets Boogie Chillen apart from other mod compilations: the early mod scene embraced all forms of popular music – as long as it satisfied the discerning early mods’ taste for cool grooves and rocking rhythms.
- John Lee Hooker - Walkin’ The Boogie (aka Boogie Chillen)
- Jimmy Reed - Big Boss Man
- Buster Brown - Fannie Mae
- Wilbert Harrison - Let’s Stick Together
- Howlin’ Wolf - Tell Me
- Lazy Lester - I’m A Lover Not A Fighter
- Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love?
- Jackie Wilson - Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want To Meet)
- Huey “Piano” Smith & The Clowns - Don’t You Just Know It
- Thurston Harris - Little Bitty Pretty One
- Gary US Bonds (as US Bonds) - Quarter To Three
- The Johnny Otis Show - Willie And The Hand Jive
- James Brown & The Famous Flames - Night Train
- Richie Barrett - Some Other Guy
- Rosco Gordon - Just A Little Bit
- Don Gardner & Dee Dee Ford - I Need Your Loving
- Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step
- Don & Bob - Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
- Ike & Tina Turner – It’s Gonna Work Out Fine
- Lee Dorsey - Do-Re-Mi
- Bill Black’s Combo – My Girl Josephine
- Bob B Soxx & The Blue Jeans - Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah
- Ray Barretto - El Watusi
- Mel Torme - Comin’ Home Baby